Friday, April 6, 2012

Spring Break Part 1: Texas visits D.C.

We started Spring Break with a visit from the grandparents. This was my parents' first visit here to D.C since we moved here. My mom has(had) a fear of flying and has only flown once in her entire life. So, she faced her fear and finally came to see us. She got through the trip with flying colors and realized it's not so bad. We had a great few days with them.
The boys got plenty of opportunities to get my dad back for all those years of "picking" on us girls. HA!
The first day, S and the big boys took my dad to the Air and Space Museum. Meanwhile my mom and I took C and did a little outlet shopping.
The next day we did the whole DC tour. I knew my mom had never seen D.C. but I never realized my dad, although having been to DC before, had never seen the sites up close and personal. It was a real treat to get to show them all these wonderful monuments. Since seeing DC in a day is hard to do and requires tons of walking, we decided to ride one of these:
Of course we got off at several stop to take a closer look:
And it still required lots of walking. My parents had their hands full! HA!
Turned out to be a beautiful day for taking in the sites.

Spring was definitely in full force - there were tulips everywhere. And so beautiful!
And we were also able to capture the last remaining cherry blossoms. Most have lost their blooms since they came so early this year.
The last day we took it easy and my mom and I got the chance to see this:
Let me tell you I was so pumped to get to see this movie! I'm not a reader but I read all three of these books over Christmas in like 3 weeks. That's a record for me. When I told my mom how good they were, she (not a reader either) started them and couldn't put them down. So it was fun for us to get the chance to see this together. Good - but the book is SO much BETTER!
All in all it was a great visit with the grandparents. We are currently on grandparent de-tox! HA!
Stay tuned for Part 2 of our Spring Break.....

No comments: