Friday, September 5, 2008

Gustav vs. Jones

Gustav was no match for the Jones' household. Our house escaped unharmed. We came home yesterday afternoon even though we had no electricity. Luckily, right before I was ready to give the boys a cool bath before putting them to bed, the electricity was back! We were able to spend the night in AC!! Once we returned home, we went on a hunt for ice and propane. Took three stores before we found ice but we had no luck with the propane. Our house had no signs of water, leaks, etc and there were no trees down. I couldn't believe all those trees behind our lot were still in tact. Most of the city looked good. The only damage we saw were a few trees snapped in half. We saw a couple of houses with trees on them. There's a couple in our SS class whose house was crushed by a tree. S goes back to work on Monday and W's first day of preschool was postponed till Monday. We have heard on the news there are places south of New Orleans damaged very badly from the wind. I haven't seen any coverage on TV since our cable is still out. We just received internet late today (yipee). S is thinking about buying a generator for future use. Not a bad idea. So, all in all, we escaped unharmed from our first hurricane. Now let's just pray the rest of this season bypasses us all together!

1 comment:

Val said...

I am so glad that your house and neighborhood are okay for the most part. You know all of this could have been avoided IF you would have just stayed here In louivsille. I think you all should reconsider! :)

On another note, how long does it take to get to N.O. from L-ville?