Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Remembering Mimi this Christmas

If you read my blog, you know my 93 yr old grandmother, affectionately known as Mimi, passed away back in May.  Even though it's been months, she has been on my mind a lot this past month.  

 She pretty much was my only grandmother.  My Granny (mom's mom) died when I was in 2nd grade.  Not to say I don't have memories of her (her cooking was amazing and she could get me to eat anything!) but I was just too young to have a lot.
With all the christmas carols and songs filling my house and car, I can't help but think of my Mimi. These songs have such vivid memories of her.  You see, every Christmas she would load up my aunt's car with me and all 7 of my cousins (2 of my cousins lived in Santa Fe, NM so they didn't get to regularly participate in this activity) to go christmas caroling.  
Aren't we all cute!  I distinctly remember a station wagon one year with no seatbelts for all of us piled in the back!  That's how life rolled back in the day. HA!
After we were all loaded up, we would then proceed to each of my Mimi's friends' houses and christmas carol.  Some were widowed while others just had family that lived far away and they were alone for the holidays.  My Mimi spread cheer to those she loved by simply having her grandchildren sing at their doorstep.  Her desire was to love on her friends.  Simple as that.  And everyone of the recipients enjoyed it!  Now if you think christmas caroling sounds miserable, there were some perks. Some of these special friends made us goodies each year we went.  We LOVED going to Ms. Green's house.  Two things I remember from her house - her homemade popcorn balls and her fake fireplace logs.  Sure some years we would complain about having to go but NONE of us wanted to upset Mimi.  Not because she would do something to us but we genuinely did not want to upset her.  And I bet each and every one of us grandkids are so thankful for all the memories Mimi created with us each year.  I am so thrilled to know that this Christmas Mimi is joining the angel chorus to praise Jesus with her singing.
I had the opportunity this year to take my boys caroling.  Their cub scout pack sang at a local retirement center.  Though it wasn't quite the same as my childhood, it still felt the same - Awkward to sing to these people but blessed to see joy on their faces hearing the songs.
As Elf quotes - "The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear".  HA!  I bet Mimi would have loved that!

No comments: