Friday, August 29, 2014

First Day of School Warriors

School started this week for my crew.  I love my boys very much but this summer was pretty uneventful and just included a lot of bickering and laziness.  So.....I was elated that this week finally arrived.  
Where did these three big kids come from anyway?!?
 C started preschool 3 days a week at our church.  He is loving it (as I knew he would).  I have a very short, busy 2 1/2 hours to myself MWF.  Ha!
 T started 2nd grade this year.  He has the same teacher W had for 2nd.  Hopefully this year he can branch out of his stubborn shyness and show the class just how smart and funny he really is.  So far this week we have forced smiles and no answers when teacher asks us a question.....
And look at this big kid - he started 4th grade.  Wow.  He has a great teacher and is thriving this week.  His eagerness and love for learning is back again from the dark places it hid this summer.  

So if you kept up with my life, you know every year on the first day of school, I have a little mini-party for my boys after school.  This year I went with a Warrior theme based off Ephesians 6:10.  I read to them how important it is to put on our whole armor of God everyday when we go to school.  We already had the Will God's Mighty Warrior book and of course what house with boys is without weapons and armor??
I randomly had a sword cookie cutter.  Who knew?!?  So, I decided to make sword sugar cookies for our afternoon snack.
  Look at my two handsome warriors.....
 I usually try to do a little something to help them remember our "theme" throughout the year.  I couldn't think of anything this year (I figured sword anything would get them kicked out of school).  So, I bought some paracord bracelet kits at Michaels and made these bracelets for them.  Instead of the belt of truth, they can have a bracelet of truth because these things are STRONG and won't break!
We're off to a good start.

As for the teachers, well, you know I always try to give them a little 'happy' on the Friday of the first week.  Here's what I found for this year.  You can download the printable tag for free at Surfin' Through Second.  I liked the idea so I found a few neon colored items to include as well as a Dove chocolate bar (because what teacher couldn't use chocolate at the end of the first week??)

No comments: