Sunday, January 25, 2015

Snow Sculpting

Only in Minnesota, could you go on a leisure afternoon field trip to view a snow sculpting contest.  This was one event of many during the Saint Paul Winter Carnival.  Mix Mardi Gras with snow/winter festivities and you have Winter Carnival.
We decided on Saturday to go view the sculptures as they were being sculpted.  Contest ended today (Sun) but I still haven't found out who won.  I gotta say....it was quite amazing to see.  First the snow is compacted into HUGE crates and made into one big snow block.  Then the sculptors get to work.
 This first on was a shark in progress.  S was amazed how they got the fin to stand up firmly on the back.
 This one, when finished, was to be Elsa from the movie Frozen
 Hands down, our favorite had to be the dragon.  It was HUGE!  I don't know hoe many snow blocks it took for this fella.  He was off by himself so I'm not sure if he was part of the contest.  It was SO incredibly detailed.  The pictures will not do it justice.

Along with the snow sculptures, the snow park had a snow maze and a snow slide that the kids enjoyed thoroughly.


So....do we look like Minnesotans yet??

No comments: