We are two weeks into summer vacation here. Seems really weird to say that mid June (where I come from schools out end of May at latest). I decided this summer, we were doing things different in the Jones' household - something with some STRUCTURE! As S affectionately termed it - "Mommy Camp", I have created a mini homeschool life for us during this summer. The teacher in me is coming out! However, I applaud all those homeschooling mommas out there because I think I would kill my child if I had to do it all year. Is it because I expect more from my child than others??? I have no idea. After the first week, I almost gave up but things are running smoothly in week 2. Everybody is in routine!
First off, the older boys are not allowed out of their room until 7 and their room must be clean and beds made! (I'm liking this one!) Next up, breakfast. After breakfast, we have bible time on the couch. I ordered this little book for kids.
It's a year long devotional book and has different activities for each week like an application story, the bible story, an activity, prayer suggestions,etc. Great little book and it is split up into seasons. So, like this week, we have learned about what the bible has to say about freedom and what it means for us in America. Even through the screaming at T to sit down and continuous dodging of C flying over the couch , we have had some good time together. HA! It has been ever so sweet to hear my 6 yr old pray for the people of America to turn their hearts to God. After bible time, I usually let them all chill out and watch one show together. Then it's go get dressed. Once dressed, the boys come down and get their workbooks and we work on some school work, and/or write a journal entry. Sometimes I let one do workbook and one do computer games and then yell switch. C has even wants to join in and color while the boys work.
After workbooks, we generally have 2-3 hrs to do pool, errands, park, whatever. After lunch, it's naptime for C and more fun stuff for the boys. In the afternoon I've been planning, crafts, science time, music, etc. I am letting them have one movie afternoon a week (just for my sanity!) Here the boys are making a flag:
They were so thrilled with their completed project.
After our fun stuff, I have tried to do a small quiet time (like 20min) and then I let them watch one show. Then it's playtime till dad gets home. As much work as this is on me, I really think things are running smoother as far as behavior, etc. My house is getting ignored and looking a little messier than I would like but in the long run, I think this is a better plan.
On another note: For the past 6 months or so I've been using an online job reward system. It's AWESOME and it's FREE!!! You can customize what jobs you want to assign to your kids and how many points they receive per job. It also links up with Amazon so they can visually see something they want and how many points they need to earn it. My kids are only 6 and 3 and both can do this with no problem. I typically include jobs like their workbooks, making their bed, reading a book, etc. Each kid earns roughly 25 cents a day on my pay scale. I highly recommend taking a look!
Along with "mommy camp", we've had swim lessons too. I did something really stupid and signed both boys up for twice a week the entire month of June! Of course they are at different times and days so I was up at the gym 4 times a week just for swim lessons. UGH! Take note DC area - us Southern states do 2 weeks straight everyday and get it over with!
This was T's first year with swim lessons and he did GREAT! Wasn't scared one bit and has taken it up pretty quickly. Here he is blowing bubbles and kicking. (and if you are doing a double take - yes, he has the same swim suit as W up above. They are twins this season and I must say it makes it easier to spot my children at a crowded pool!)
Here's W swimming independently . I think we finally got it this year! He's doing a great job with freestyle, backstroke and breast stroke.
Whew - this momma is now really tired just writing about all of this. And I have playdough all over my kitchen as a result. Stay tuned....more summer/mommy camp posts to come!
Along with "mommy camp", we've had swim lessons too. I did something really stupid and signed both boys up for twice a week the entire month of June! Of course they are at different times and days so I was up at the gym 4 times a week just for swim lessons. UGH! Take note DC area - us Southern states do 2 weeks straight everyday and get it over with!
No comments:
Post a Comment