Monday, November 28, 2011

Our Colonial Thanksgiving

This Thanksgiving we decided to take an impromptu trip to Williamsburg, VA. We've wanted to visit there since living here and haven't been yet. So, to mark off another one of our "bucket list" things to do, we took off for a Colonial style Thanksgiving! Suddenly half way into our trip I discovered I forgot our camera! ACK!! I can't believe I did that. As W said, "Sorry mom but we aren't going back". HAHA So all our pictures were taken by phone, therefore not the best quality.
Our trip took a little longer due to the mass exodus of everyone in DC but we took some backroads and it wasn't too bad. It did help that we found one of these:
Do you enjoy the pink Hello Kitty toy he's holding?? Yeah...Anyway we enjoyed a nice little treat.
Thanksgiving day we had reservations for dinner at one of the Colonial Taverns downtown (which we were lucky to get). So we had the whole day to do whatever. We took off to the movies and saw The Muppets.
It was really good and very well done! Reminds you of the original movie and the muppet shows. As a huge childhood muppet fan, I was very pleased! It was cheesy but the humor was great! Next up, a yummy McDonalds lunch (not) by the Jamestown River. We got out and ate and played by the shoreline for a bit.
Look at what my sweet 6 yr old wrote in the sand - I Love Mom! Melt my heart!

Proof mom and dad were on this trip!
We drove to Jamestown and looked around while two boys caught some cat naps in the car. Then we headed back to walk around downtown colonial Williamsburg. The atmosphere was really fun - everyone in costumes. They even had costume rentals so you could make your experience more lifelike. S wouldn't go for it! HA! Here's one of ours all locked up!
Ever walk by a house and see a colonial man sitting reading???
Here's one riding around the streets on his horse.
This is the tavern where we ate our Thanksgiving dinner. It was called Shields Tavern. We were so lucky to get a reservation (I was told they book up by Halloween but someone had cancelled and we got theirs). Such a UNIQUE experience.
Our table was downstairs in the basement or cellar. Everything was by candlelight only. (remember the no camera thing so these aren't great but you get the idea)

We had a very tasty meal! In addition to good food, the tavern has special guests (dressed in colonial attire) come down and play things like the flute pipe and the mandolin. Also we got to meet the "hostess" of the tavern. She said she was exiled from Britain to work in this tavern due to a crime. She was looking to get out of her sentence early if she could find the right man to marry. W remembered that part well. :)
Next up on our adventure there was no Black Friday shopping but instead a trip to Christmas Town at Busch Gardens. It was the first day they opened for the holidays so the crowd was obnoxiously large but other than that, it was beautiful! I've never seen so many lights and decorations in one place. They have it split up into different European countries and it was really neat - crowded - but neat.
Here are some carolers that greeted you close to the entrance of the park. You can get an idea of the atmosphere.
We were able to get into one of the shows - A Sesame Street Christmas! The kids really enjoyed it (as well as this big kid). Sesame Street live shows are always really good in my opinion.
This was the clock tower lit up
This was Santa's workshop. Inside was Santa himself taking pictures with all the little kiddos.
All in all, C sums up the trip for us! Thumbs up to a great time!!! Great family memories were made this holiday.

2 comments:

Ashley Nelson said...

Oh my goodness Kim!! What a memorable & super fun Thanksgiving!! You guys outdid yourself this year! (is outdid really a word, looks awkward?) I loved the pictures, everyone looks GREAT!! I miss you guys :(

Krista McCracken said...

What a great holiday had by all!! I Can't wait to take my kiddos to this Colonial world. You inspired me! Love it! I would totally be the one to forget my camera. I do that all the time! The phone pics are great! Miss you all!