Sunday, May 11, 2014

A Few Furniture DIY Projects

I have heard and read a lot about chalk paint lately.  I was so intrigued by it, I knew I wanted to try it.  It's a type of paint that can paint over any surface without sanding or prepping.  Sounds too good to be true right??  However, after trying it, I loved it.  Easy to work with from start to finish.  After applying the chalk paint, you do have to wax the furniture but compared to sanding - I will wax anyday.
Here's the first piece I finished.  
I forgot to take a before picture.  It was a green bombay chest with brass handles.  I liked the look.  Found it off a local FB for sale site and next thing I knew I had a project.  I ended up using it as my nightstand beside my bed.  It's finished with CeCe Caldwell's Smoky Mountain Grey.  Then I spray painted the handles with a darker bronze that I already had.
Next up....the piece I was very pumped to find.  We needed a new kitchen table but I didn't want to buy a new one with my three messy boys.  I found this on craigslist for $100.
It was in sad, sad shape.  Dirty as could be.  Grimy and had paint all over it.  However it was a solid wood butcher block table!  Here's what it looks like now:
 I sanded and stained the top and put on a butcher block sealer.  Then I painted the chairs and the table legs with CeCe Caldwell's Vintage White.  This white was almost the same white the table already was but it just took off the ugly.  HA!  Then I waxed all of them.  Finally, I recovered the chairs in this fun gray/yellow outdoor fabric.  Like night and day...
Here's the side by side:

No comments: