Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Price to Pay for a Simple Game

I had really hoped I would be blogging about our wonderful time at LegoLand this past weekend, but instead I ended up like this:

Our trip was postponed due to the fact I broke my foot right before our trip.  Last Wed night I was at church helping out with Awana.  I volunteered for game time - it was leader standoff 4 man tug-of-war.  At first I wasn't going to volunteer because there were plenty of teenagers doing it.  Then I saw T's team leader explaining to the game leader that he had not had a turn.  He was the only kid who hadn't gone.  So, as any good mom would do, I went up and said "hey he's my son, I'll just do it with him and he can pull with the leaders.".  This made T happy so it was a go.  Well, we were doing so good and winning and then someone caught be off guard and pulled me forward and I fell on the outside of my foot.  I jumped up and noticed no one had won (and I didn't seem hurt).  We pulled and eventually won the game! :)
Afterward, my foot wasted no time to swell.  The next day it wasn't any better and I decided it best to go get it checked out before we left for CA.  I thought it best so I could get my walking boot or whatever and be on my way.  I received horrible news.  I had broken my foot!  It was called a Jones Fracture (great name huh??) and he wanted me to see a foot specialist asap to figure out a plan to heal.  That afternoon I got an appt with the foot specialist and he informed me there was no way around this break.  It was in the joint and the worst you could do to your foot.  A cast and/or surgery would be necessary.  Well, that's when I lost it in the office and started to bawl.  I had ruined the weekend!
I went back to the doctor yesterday and he put my official cast on.  We decided to try to let it heal on it's own for 2 weeks.  After two weeks, if healing is evident, we will keep the cast and forget surgery.  If it is not healing, we will proceed with surgery first part of November.  Either way, I'm in a cast for the next 6-8 weeks.  I'm going to be honest - it SUCKS!
I'm trying to have a good attitude but it is so hard.  I'm just mad about it all.  It's so hard to do ANYTHING around the house for myself or for my boys.  Today I saw a great post by Lysa Terkeurst on facebook.  It was a simple prayer for struggles:  "God, I love you. I don’t love this situation. But I love you. Therefore, I have everything I need to keep putting one foot in front of the other and walk through until I get to the other side of this.”
I may not physically be able to walk through this but spiritually I can.  So I'm hoping God can work on me while I'm sitting still!

No comments: