Sunday, October 7, 2012

My Sous Chef

W has been my little sous chef in the kitchen lately.  He has been very independent since school started and in the morning he wants to make his own breakfast.  (This is typically frozen waffles for him at my house - don't judge).  So, by all means I have let him, seeing that is one less plate for me to fix.  Well, last week he asked if he could make dinner.  S was going to be out of town on night and I thought that would be an excellent night to try.  So I pulled out my ol' Paula Deen Cooking with Kids cookbook and let W peruse his way through it.  He found a recipe called Porcupine Balls and his mind was set.  They actually turned out really good and it was quite the crowd pleaser at our house!  I highly recommend these if you have a kid wanting to cook.  He got his hands dirty and the rice puffed up like spikes on a porcupine (which I was totally skeptical about).  You can find the recipe here:  Paula Deen Porcupine Balls

 The morning after the successful dinner, W insists he needs to make breakfast for the weekend.  He found a recipe for Monkey Bread in the cookbook and begged.  Of course I let him.  He was so excited to serve our family.  Maybe there is a chance these boys will grow up and be able to take care of themselves after all!

1 comment:

Madonna said...

My mom used to make us porcupine balls all the time! We loved them too!